Subject: EUREF Circular 1

From: Bruyninx Carine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 12:53:31 utc

EUREF Permanent GPS Network :   Circular 1

     *****************************************************

Please distribute this letter among interested colleagues.

Dear Colleague,

Please allow me to introduce myself : my name is Carine Bruyninx.  At
the IXth Meeting of the EUREF Technical Working Group my candidature
as "EUREF Network Coordinator" was accepted. This means that I will be
in charge of the coordination of all activities within the EUREF
permanent GPS network, including data flow and data analysis
(Gurtn95a).

In order to perform this task I would request people who are
installing or planning new GPS permanent stations in Europe, which
follow the requirements proposed by W. Gurtner (Gurtn95b) and endorsed
by the EUREF Technical Working Group, to inform me about their
intention. Once the station is installed I would ask them to fill in
an IGS Information Form (blank forms are available at the IGN mirror
site of the IGS CB Information System, ftp : schubert.ign.fr, file :
/pub/igscb/station/log/BLNKFORM.LOG) and send it to me at the address:

     e-mail : [email-masked]
  or
    address : Dr. C. Bruyninx
              Royal Observatory of Belgium
              Av. Circulaire No 3
              B-1180 Brussels
              BELGIUM

The Station Information Forms will be used to compile a European data
base with the EUREF (and IGS) permanent GPS sites. The information
will be freely available to the EUREF user community. The goal is to
discourage the duplication of GPS points. If for a certain GPS
project, a particular area is considered, then it will be possible to
check the EUREF database to see if there are already any existing or
planned points close to this area.
The data from the permanent sites included in the database do not have
to be freely available, but it is recommended that the GPS data are
processed on a regular basis (for example through distributed
processing).

At present, the CODE processing center is processing all sites which
send their data to the European data center at IFAG within a delay of
3 days.  In the frame of a distributed processing approach the current
processing scheme will be replaced by one where particular European
subnetworks of IGS and/or EUREF stations will be processed on a
regular basis in different EUREF analysis centers and afterwards
combined in one global European solution.

To allow the implementation of such a processing scheme, Agencies
which are interested in acting as a EUREF local analysis center should
contact me mentioning which stations they would like to process or
already are processing at present.  We expect the concerning Agencies
to deliver weekly SINEX files (or normal equation files for Bernese
users) to the CODE processing center, which is willing to combine the
results from the EUREF local analysis centers weekly into one
solution.

The success of the distributed processing approach for the European
permanent GPS sites depends for a great deal on your contribution !

                                               With kind regards,

                                              Dr. Carine Bruyninx
                                            EUREF Network Coordinator

 (Gurtn95a): "Job Description of Network Coordinator", presented at meeting of
              EUREF TW Group,  Oct. 95, Paris, France
 (Gurtn95b): "Guidelines for a Permanent EUREF GPS Network", presented at 
              EUREF Symposium, May 95, Helsinki, Finland

  copies of these papers will be made available through ftp in the near future.